On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:22:07 +0800, Jed R. Mallen wrote:

> I don't really need the config files. As I've said I've been doing the
> make oldconfig way before and I'm just wondering with the change of
> kernel versions if this is still "safe" in any way. Thanks.

Yes it is. I've recycled my config files since 2.6.verysmallnumber with
only one problem on one machine, the change of the SATA drivers. It
shouldn't be used to change major revisions, say 2.4 to 2.6, and may
cause problems with a large jump in minor revisions (but then such an
upgrade is going to involve more work when you do it manually too).

As long as you keep a copy of  your old kernel (make install does this
automatically) you won't suffer if you do break the kernel. In some ways,
the kernel is the easiest package to update, because it does not replace
the previous version.

--
Neil Bothwick

Committee (noun): A group of people spending hours taking minutes