Most f the questions you have asked are really "LVM 101" type questions
(not any particular implementation of LVM, but LVM in general).  So yes,
to use LVM/EVMS/whatever you sort of have to understand the underlying
principle of what/why.  There's a basic explanation at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_volume_management

No, it doesn't fit on a postcard.

> > Nope. Some things simply *ARE* complicated.
>
> Richard Feynman, a great physicist, once stated that if you can not explain a
> (physics) problem at a freshman level then you don't understand the problem.
> Edward Tufte has a series of books on information design simplifying
> complicated things so that you can communicate clearly.  Either of these men
> are
> smarter than you and I put together.  I highly recommend reading Tufte's
> books
> or watch Feynman's testimony at the Challenger committee hearing where he
> shows
> with a glass of ice water the most likely explanation for the disaster.
> Clear,
> simple and easily understood by most people.  If these men successfully
> live/lived by the guideline that complex explanations means you don't
> understand, I'm willing to accept it as true to make that one of my guiding
> principles.

Often simplifications lead to inaccuracies, misinterpretations, and
confusion.  I'm sure Tufte could have compressed his series of books to
a series of postcards as well.