On 5 Dec 2007, at 15:56, Grant wrote:

802.11 wireless is the primary connectivity. It used to be a huge pain finding a wireless signal but then I built a WokFi antenna. A wifi USB
adapter, mesh cooking utensil, tripod and usb extension cable can be
sourced for the price of a day or two of satellite access. It all
collapses down nicely and hasn't failed me to date. YMMV

That sounds interesting.  I had a look at the WokFi wikipedia page.
So you have always been able to find an unencrypted signal when you're
traveling?  How many times has this worked?  If you're on business you
must be staying in hotels in the middle of town right?

- Grant

I've used the GPRS modem twice during all the trips to Barbados. The WokFi has worked well at various hotels and an apartment complex along the island's west coast so none of the use was "in the middle of town" in the traditional sense.

It's not a panacea, but I can connect to networks that don't even show up on my Eee's built-in wireless. It's inexpensive to build your own and a handy tool to have in your arsenal.
--
Christopher