> > Has anyone attached their cell phone to their Gentoo system to act as a
> > modem?
>
> Would this work?  http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/
>
> Or, would there be driver issues?

That kind of thing would work, the tricky part is making it work while
traveling internationally.  You basically can't bring a cell phone to
a place like Costa Rica (for example), you have to buy/rent one there.
 Did you read the fine print when you signed up for the temporary
Costa Rican cell service at the corner store?  Do you have a Costa
Rican ISP you can dial up to?  What are you being charged for
international calls home?  Is there good cell reception where you're
staying?  What is this costing all together?

$50/week and $7.95/MB for work-pretty-much-anywhere satellite service
which weighs less than 1kg doesn't sound so bad.  The same satellite
company will mail you the setup whenever you need it.

All in all, I think it makes sense to pick one of the five options
whenever traveling to a specific destination (dial-up, wireless, GSM,
CDMA, satellite) based on what you know will be available.  Do
yourself a favor and don't "hope it will work out" when you get there.
 That has ended in disaster for me.  If you aren't sure, get the
satellite.  Otherwise, maybe you know the hotel has wireless, or you
can dial up a local ISP from your room, or you know GSM service will
be solid and they sell SIM cards in that country, etc.

- Grant