On 5 Dec 2007, at 08:53, Grant wrote:

That kind of thing would work, the tricky part is making it work while
traveling internationally.  You basically can't bring a cell phone to
a place like Costa Rica (for example), you have to buy/rent one there.
Did you read the fine print when you signed up for the temporary
Costa Rican cell service at the corner store?  Do you have a Costa
Rican ISP you can dial up to?  What are you being charged for
international calls home?  Is there good cell reception where you're
staying?  What is this costing all together?

Sounds more like a Costa Rica problem than a gentoo/gsm/gprs/etc issue.. When I'm in Barbados on business I can happily use my Rogers (Canadian GSM) SE W880i as a GPRS modem. Though that requires being "happy" to pay the rather expensive data roaming charges. So although I have it with me, it's the backup option.

802.11 wireless is the primary connectivity. It used to be a huge pain finding a wireless signal but then I built a WokFi antenna. A wifi USB adapter, mesh cooking utensil, tripod and usb extension cable can be sourced for the price of a day or two of satellite access. It all collapses down nicely and hasn't failed me to date. YMMV
--
Christopher