Dear All,
I'm running out of space on my laptop  (Compaq Presario V5000) so I've decided
to intall a bigger hard disk.  Currently I have an 80GB SATA drive, I'm also
going to add more RAM (from 1GB to 2GB) as RAM is so cheap at the moment.
I've been through various howto's online, including the one in the
gentoo-wiki, but I'm not completely clear on a couple of things.  I need this
to go quickly and smoothly, I'm about to move house and job and I don't have
too much time for messing around.

My current partition table looks like this:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks         Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1           5         40131           83  Linux
/dev/sda2               6          68        506047+      82  Linux swap /
Solaris
/dev/sda3              69        9729     77601982+  83  Linux

I intend to keep the same partition layout on the new disk, but with /sda3
being a lot bigger.

So here's how I think I'll do this, please feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong.
1. place the new 160GB SATA drive in an external housing and create the
partitions using fdisk, make the file systems, etc.

Question 1: Should I keep the swap partition the same size or increase it?

2. Copy all the partitions from the old disk to the new disk using cp

Question 2: (This is the main one!) The MBR?  As the new disk is a direct
replacement for the old one, with the same partitions etc, do I need to
change anything in my grub.conf?  or should it just work without
modification?

Here's my current grub.conf:

default 0

timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash2.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo 2.6.22-r2

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.22-r2-2 root=/dev/sda3
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED]

title=Gentoo 2.6.18-r6

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.18-r6 root=/dev/sda3
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,[EMAIL PROTECTED]

3. Shutdown, replace the old drive with the new drive, reboot and cross my
fingers :-)  Will it work?

Any comments, as always, greatly appreciated
Matt
--
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

[EMAIL PROTECTED]