On Tuesday 08 January 2008, James wrote:

> I assume it has NTFS by default. I have all of the legacy
> doz file systems enabled along with idonify in the kernel.
>

> I want to use it on both gentoo and windows systems
> for a variety of tasks. What the best way to set it up
> (ideas) so as to ensure what I copy onto the drive,
> form either gentoo or xp I can copy off onto a gento
> or XP based system? Should I delete any of the original
> stuff that Seagate installs on the drive?

I have no idea what Seagate installs on the drive.  Assuming that it is NTFS,
you may want to read about www.ntfs-3g.org.  It's also in portage:

$ eix -l ntfs3g
[I] sys-fs/ntfs3g
     Available versions:
                        1.810 [suid]
                ~       1.1030 [suid]
                ~       1.1104 [suid]
                ~       1.1120 [debug suid]
     Installed versions:  1.810(18:22:30 09/18/07)(-suid)
     Homepage:            http://www.ntfs-3g.org
FUSE

I have been using it for some time now on data (non-OS) partitions and had no
problems.  YMMV.

> Also, I'm thinking about a udev rule or fstab entry
> on the gentoo system to uniquely identify the drive
> as I often attach several usb(stick or drive) devices
> to one system at any given time; so I'm looking for
> a scheme that they will each be unquely recognized (Labeled?

You may want to check the Gentoo Documentation and Gentoo Wiki and this ML and
the forums, for multiple suggestions and examples of setting up udev rules.
--
Regards,
Mick