Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> During make menuconfig, hit / and enter the text you want to search
> for (in this case, obviously, it's FB_VESA), and hit enter. It
> should show you where that particular option is found in the
> configration. In my case (vanilla 2.6.23.9), it shows
>
> Symbol: FB_VESA [=y]
>
> Prompt: VESA VGA graphics support
>
>   Defined at drivers/video/Kconfig:595
>   Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && FB=y && X86
>   Location:
>
>     -> Device Drivers
>       -> Graphics support
>         -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=y])
>   Selects: FB_CFB_FILLRECT && FB_CFB_COPYAREA && FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT &&
> VIDEO_SELECT
>

> Notice the "Location:" bit.

That was a very nice tip.  I must have known it sometime or at least
seen it but had totally forgotten how to search in make menuconfig
dialog.

I've found the settings and now recompiling... so I'll know soon if it
is done or still needs work.

By the way about the vga= setting.  I grabbed a chart from some where
long ago showing the notation I was using:

 ##    640x480   800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
 ##   256 0x301   0x303   0x305    0x307
 ##   32k 0x310   0x313   0x316    0x319
 ##   64k 0x311   0x314   0x317    0x31A
 ##   16M 0x312   0x315   0x318    0x31B

do you know of a chart that shows the decimal notation like you
posted? (Its not in `man vga')

And I don't recall where I got that from... where ever it was, it
probably also has the decimal equivalents.