On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:17:37 +0100 Etaoin Shrdlu
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 9 January 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > > do you know of a chart that shows the decimal notation like you
> > > posted? (Its not in `man vga')
> > >
> > > And I don't recall where I got that from... where ever it was, it
> > > probably also has the decimal equivalents.
> >
> > You can ignore this request... I found a nifty hex to decimal
> > converter for vim here:
> >    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip27

If you only want to convert one number (or an arithmetic expression) you
can write, e.g. ":echo 0x31a" in vim and be done with it. :-)

> A perhaps simpler way is to use the bc program (which needs to be
> installed for this to work, of course):
>
> $ echo 'obase=10; ibase=16; 31A' | bc
> 794

Or an even simpler way would be

$ echo $((0x31a))
794

Bash is really cool. It can understand numbers up to base 64. ;-)

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.