Grant wrote:
I uncommented the above line and added the following to main.cf:

smtpd_tls_security_level = may

as instructed here:

http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#server_enable

and restarted postfix, but I still can't send.  In claws-mail, I tried
specifying 587 and I'm specifying Use SSL for SSMTP.  I'm guessing TLS
isn't set up properly?

You need more than that. My /etc/postfix/main.cf looks like this and you'll need to create the actual certs listed below as well. I recommend smtpd_tls_auth_only so that anyone trying to smtp auth is required to do it over an encrypted session.

# TLS stuff
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/newkey.pem
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/newcert.pem
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/cacert.pem
#smtpd_tls_loglevel = 3
#smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

Additionally check to see what port Postfix is listening on. It's on port 465 on my server and you'll need to set your mail client to SSL rather than TLS.

kashani