>  > Are you using kde-4.0.x or why do you have
>

> kde-3.5.7. Tried to update to kde-4.0.x near the end
>  of January. This was after almost two years of not
>  updating anything. This led to a emerge -uD world
>  which took about a week over my string-and-can modem.
>  Many, many "failure to build" errors kept me returning
>  to the list for advice. See ,for instance, "emerge -uD
>  world: another obstacle" in the archive. It was like
>  crawling through the desert pursuing a mirage. I was
>  unmerging here remerging there. Maybe that's when
>  qca-2.0.0-r2 slipped into my system. I never
>  completely understood why kde-4 couldn't be emerged. I
>  ran update-eix and eix-sync. Even now when I do emerge
>  -u kde it just points to 3.5.8.
>

>  > app-crypt/qca-2.0.0-r2
>  > unmasked? You can add "=app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3
>  > ~whateverarchyouhave" to
>  > /etc/portage.keyords and try again "emerge -avuND
>  > world".
>

> Ok, that worked. Thanks.

So if you didn't manage to install kde-4.0.x, you should revert your
settings in /etc/portage/package.* and/or /etc/make.conf

For instance you should have app-crypt/qca-2.0.0-r2 in
/etc/portage/package.unmask which is not necessary if don't have
kde-4. And then you don't need app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3 in
/etc/portage/package.keywords either.

I don't want to be offensive, but I strongly recommend you to do some
cleanup! I also recommend to learn how to use portage (man portage,
man ebuild, man emerge, and so on), how to manage
/etc/package/package.*, revdep-rebuild and what emerge --depclean is
doing! Learn how to handle blockers, to unmerge a specific version of
a package if it is slotted and not needed anymore, or you will get in
such troubles all the time!

I would also recommend everybody to use udept which in my opinion is
far superior to all other portage tools (depclean, eix-test-obsolete
equery, and so on), or replaces many of them by one single tool. I use
it for cleanup and other stuff, but it has some problems currently
with USE_DEFAULTS and SLOT_DEPENDENCIES so it does not work correctly
and its output has to be interpreted in the right way. There is also a
bug open where an updated ebuild exists which solves other problems
the current version has. I hope this problems go away and the
maintainer of udept finds the time to work on it again, it would be a
great loss if not!

Btw, it is no problem to install kde-4 in parallel to kde-3! It is
just a bit tricky and you should have some experience of how gentoo
works. I would also not unmask a kde version which is currently masked
and do a world update in parallel when i had not updated my system for
about two years. It is expected that many problems occur if doing so
because there are enough problems anyway after such a long time not
having done update world!

Portage wants to install kde-3.5.8 because it is now stable, thus
normal! Kde-3.5.7 is not in the tree anymore, as far as i know. I am
no kde user but i figured this all out by just reading this list and a
bit research!

Update-eix has in most cases nothing to do with upgrade problems. It
is just a database listing your portage-tree. The only problem when
not doing update-eix is that you may reason the wrong things because
the database is out of date and you rely on the output of eix which is
wrong!

Regards,

Daniel