Dale wrote:
> Steven Lembark wrote:
>>
>> > Well, this one takes longer.  Just the foldingathome takes about 20
>> > seconds or more to shutdown.  It can take over 60 seconds at times.
>> > That service for some reason has to completely shutdown before the
>> > others start to shutdown.  The others will shutdown in parallel like I
>> > have set up.  Then there is all the other services that have to stop.
>> > Quite literally, I only had seconds to shutdown since the P/S was
>> > stinking like a skunk.  I just needed to umnount the file systems and
>> > power off as fast as possible.  I didn't want to just pull the plug but
>> > I needed a shutdown that fast.
>>
>> Hackint the shutdowns to background the shutdown
>> op and return is usually pretty simple -- don't know
>> why more app's don't do that by default.
>>
>> 'halt' will get you down with little typing if you
>> want to bypass the init scripts; so will "kill -TERM 1".
>> Add a 'sync' before either of them and you'll probably
>> be able to come up with minimal trouble.
>>

> What's the difference between halt command and shutdown?  I thought they
> were basically the same thing.
>
> Also, in case you missed it.  I have a service, foldingathome, that
> takes a while to stop and no other service can be stopped in parallel
> with this one.  That is one of my key sticking points with the
> shutdown.  Most of the others are pretty fast.  I just needed the
> quickest *clean* shutdown I could get.
> Thanks

I have four FAH jobs running on my compute server. I
can "kill -TERM fah6" in about 0.70 sec here, they
start up again and just keep going. FAH is pretty
robust when it comes to restarts; again if you crash
the proc's then it won't be any worse than the outcome
of loosing power: FAH will have to pick up its pieces
and keep going. At least with "halt -f" you'll get
the kernel space cleaned up.

Halt will stop the O/S (see note from manpage, below).
In this case a 'halt -f' would get the system down
about as quickly as possible without just hitting
the reset button.

NOTES
       Under  older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be
called
       directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot  invoke
shutdown(8)  if
       the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or
reboot
       cannot find out the current runlevel (for example,  when
/var/run/utmp
       hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which
might
       not be what you want.  Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard
halt or
       reboot.

--
Steven Lembark                                            85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing                                 Woodhaven, NY, 11421