>>> In most cases you'll find that 'shutdown -h now'
>>> takes only a few seconds.
>>>

>> you must have nice hardware :)
>>

> He must have.  I have a AMD 2500+ CPU with 1Gb of ram.  It's not the
> slowest but not the fastest either.

Pair of dual-PIII VA Linux machines, one compute
server with twin dual-core opterons. Main thing
that speeds up the AMD box is using 320MB scsi's
for near-term storage. They are hugely faster than
[S]ATA or IDE used on most equipment these days.

--
Steven Lembark                                            85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing                                 Woodhaven, NY, 11421