Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:30:11 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>
>> I think I removed kde-meta, because it installs too much stuff,
>> that I don't need (like kppp). It would be nice, if the kde-meta
>> ebuild would be more like the gst-plugins-meta package, in that
>> it sould allow the user to specify what he wants to get installed
>> and what not. It shouldn't be an all or nothing approach, IMO.
>
> But that's exactly what it's for "merge this to pull in all
> non-developer, split kde-base/* packages".

Not all -meta packages behave like that - eg. the gst-plugins-meta
package only pulls in, what's wanted (per USE flags).

> If you want to pick and
> choose, emerge the packages you want, there's no need to add extra USE
> flags and another layer of complexity when the current system handles
> both all-in-one and selective installs just fine.

Well, I disagree. I want to install almost all of the KDE stuff,
but eg. not the PPP things, as I've got not use for that on that system.
But I still would like my world file *NOT* to be cluttered with
a gazillion of kde packages.

The current system absolutely does not handle that just fine.

Michael