On 2008-05-09, brullo nulla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Gentoo-powered Macbook. I would like to improve its wireless
> receiver capabilities, to be able to connect to weak wireless networks
> for example in my laboratory (I would have legal access to the
> university network, but in my building the signal is extremly weak...
> yes, welcome to Italian infrastructures).
>
> I would like to experiment with a cantenna or something like that.

I've had very good luck with home-made biquad reflectors:

http://martybugs.net/wireless/biquad/
http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

I've build both a single and a double biquad using methods
similar to the first page.  I use thin-walled brass tubing
instead of copper.

> What do you advice for it? Usb wireless key to use,

You get the key from the network admin, don't you?

> advices on construction, etc.? Anything.

I've collected some cans and some N connectors but haven't
gotten around to building a can/waveguide antenna yet.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm changing the
                                  at               CHANNEL ... But all I get