On 2008-05-10, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I'm talking about the USB wireless adapter (I don't think I can
>>> connect the antenna to my laptop directly),
>>> not the passphrase key...
>>
>> Ah. I've got a Hawking HWUG1 USB WiFi adapter that works fine
>> with Gentoo (I had to download driver source from somewhere).
>> It's got an R-SMA connector for use with external antennas.
>
> I've had good luck using these together:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164015

Yup, that's the one I have.  That's a good price on it, too.

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110

I've also got one of those antennas and it's exellent.  It
provides a little (1-2dB) more gain as my double-biquad
reflector, but it's a lot cheaper (assuming your time is worth
much), and a bit easier to use, since it will sit nicely on a
table or windowsill.

> Use the rt2x00 driver included in 2.6.24 kernels.

Cool -- it's good to know that the driver has been added to
the kernel sources.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  DIDI... is that a
                                  at               MARTIAN name, or, are we