On 2008-05-12, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What do you mean by "outperform"?  I can see how drivers can
>> affect throughput.  The Windows drivers for my Laptop's WiFi
>> chipset (Intel Pro-something) only get about 1/4 of the
>> bandwidth that the Linux drivers do.
>>
>> But, I don't understand how the driver can affect receiver
>> sensitivity.  That's purely a function of the design of the RF
>> frontend.
>
> As modified by the firmware in the device. OK, it's not the
> driver per se, but it's certainly not the hardware either

Sorry, I don't see how firmware can affect sensitivity. I've
been involved in writing firmware for RF data communications
stuff for a long time, and I've certainly never been able to
affect sensitivity.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I just remembered
                                  at               something about a TOAD!