On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 16:19 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We plan to eval Gentoo.  We await 2008 final.  The comment is, Gentoo
> home page gives no clue about status.  Convincing people that Gentoo is
> "alive" becomes tricky because the final is months late and little
> motion on the home page.  That's about all most people inspect.
>
> So bottom line, impressions of Gentoo are going south even before we
> test.
>
> Some sort of "progress bar" or chart showing bugs squashed and new
> reported, maybe??  At least some kind of "ticker" showing "expected
> final release date"?  Counting lines of code or something?
>
> Personally I don't care when final ships - just knowing "present
> expectations" or status with an easy home page glance is all I ask.
>
> Thanks.
> --
>
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
>                           unladen european swallow

You might want to take a look at Gentoo's Bugzilla charts and
statistics:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/report.cgi

For a start, have a look at "Old Charts" link and create statistics for
new, resolved and fixed bugs. These numbers show clearly that Gentoo is
very alive.

The statistics here: http://www.gentoo-portage.com/Statistics
also show that the number of packages doesn't stagnate as it would on a
dying distro.