On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:46:26 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>  > > Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot
>  > > option, or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you
>  > > no longer have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer
>  > > dependent on them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?
>  >
>  > Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
>  > be removed.  Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.
>  >
>  > I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.
>
>  I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
>  emerge shouts loudly about removing those.

On a long list of packages to be cleaned I find it comforting to use

emerge -C package1 package2 package3

and watch closely so that nothing system oriented gets taken out.

I've made the mistake of doing

emerge --depclean

on a long list of files and then having a system that was hard to fix.

Just my take on being careful.

- Mark