Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
> emerge shouts loudly about removing those.

I think your are probably right...

>> For example, one of the listed pkgs is:
>>
>>   gnome-base/libgnomeui
>>
>> which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.
>
> equery depends is unreliable as it doesn't take proper account of USE
> dependencies. What's the worst that can happen if you unmerge libgnomeui?
> Probably that you can't start a GNOME desktop until it is re-emerged. As
> long as you don't unmerge anything fro system and you run a deep world
> update after a depclean, preferably followed by a revdep-rebuild, you
> should be OK.

I don't even use gnome desktop at all ... I'm a kde fan.  So I guess I
should get it done...

Its good to have confirmed that `equery depends' is not that
reliable... I'd developed that apprehension a while ago.

I somehow doubt that firefox will cease to work if I unmerge
libgnomeui.

So here goes nothing...