On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> If "the schily makefile system" was under GPL, _then_ there was a
> problem because the GPL limits the freedom to use software. As "the
> schily makefile system" is under the more free CDDL that (in contrary
> to the GPL) does not limit the freedom to use software, there is no
> problem.
>

> mkisofs/Makefile is a "derived work" from "the schily makefile
> system". The CDDL gives you the freedom to have a derived work under
> a license that is not the CDDL.
>
> "the schily makefile system" is _definitely_ _not_ a derived work
> from mkisofs/Makefile

As the GPL is a copyleft, and relies on copyright to be enforceable,
it's prudent to consider what constitutes a derived work, and if a
claimed derived work is indeed a derived work at all. SCO's claims
about header files, and the bruha surrounding XFS when first merged
into mainline are examples of how this can be a gray area.

To my mind Makefiles make most sense when viewed as independent free
standing works, or possibly as not copyrightable (if they are the only
possible expression of a desired result). I'm not familiar enough with
Joerg's build system to have much of a valid opinion, so a few
technical questions that Joerg (the author) is best positioned to
answer:

1. Are your Makefiles unique and peculiar to your build system, so that
no other build system could conceivably use them?
2. Briefly, what would be involved to have cdrtools built by a different
build system?

And a few questions about your intentions for your code:

1. Do you permit users to modify and redistribute the Makefiles?
2. How do you feel about users or distros replacing your build system
and Makefiles with a different system? Leaving aside their reasons for
doing this, did you intend with the licensing for them to receive this
right?
3. Would you be willing to dual-license the build system and/or
Makefiles as CDDL/GPL? It seems to me you don't lose anything if you
did this.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com