I use opendns.com - take a peep at it, very highly recommended.

deface

On Sep 12, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Hi, Gentoo!

I bought a new hard drive on Wednesday, and am seriously getting Gentoo
installed (after doing a trial installation in July).

However....  looking up URL's is very, very slow.  This is most
noticeable when running emerge.  It is very also noticeable running
Firefox; the looking up is _much_ slower than on my existing Debian
sarge system.

Presumably, I need to configure some sort of DNS cache, or proxy, or
whatever it might be called.  I've looked in
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/>, but couldn't find a network configuration
manual there.

Would somebody give me a pointer, please?  Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).