Alan Mackenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Anyhow, it is surely not the router setup which is the problem - name
> lookup works fine under my Debian sarge system.

Is the sarge system pointed at the same router for default route?

Show first line of /etc/hosts

Show Sarge system /etc/resolv.conf and first line of /etc/hosts

Surely your router has a `status' screen.  It should show you current
IP and DNS servers.

Otherwise hit this page
        http://www.jtan.com/~reader/
to learn your outer IP address

With that you can learn the nameservers for a domain...

Sorry I can't remember which tool or arguments do this but it is
possible to lookup a domain name and be shown the nameservers that
serve that domain.   Not sure if its nslookup, dig, whois or something
else but maybe some kind soul will post the command and arguments that
will retrieve that info.

Once you've ascertained that actual outer nameserver.  Put that in
/etc/resolv.conf and see if it makes a difference.