On Tuesday 28 October 2008 23:09:48 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
> >> multiple lines)?
> >
> > This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
> > what's going on.
> >
> > 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used -
> > it's FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command
> > line produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
> > FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence
> > this behaviour.
> >
> > It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
> > make.conf...
>
> Perhaps you did not read wget's info page ?
> Please read the following excerpt to the end

OK, that explains it. I read the first three paragraphs, saw "Legal indicators
are 'dot' and 'bar'" and figured there were two options - verbose with lots
of dots or concise with 50 dashes. That'll teach me to assume :-)

[man wget's is getting like bash, screen, nmap and mplayer's man pages...]

But there's something else at work here - this change happened on my mchine
within the last 6 weeks. The last emerge of wget here was Aug 17. So what
changed with portage?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com