Mark Knecht writes:

> Having a second install is a reasonable idea. I suppose I can probably
> install that remotely but I cannot test it remotely (AFAIK) without
> someone handy to choose the right line in the grub menu...

You can use the grub-set-default command to boot another than the default
entry:

default saved
fallback 0
title System A
kernel (hd0,0)/A

title System B
kernel (hd0,1)/B

System A is your default system. When you have installed B, activate the 2nd
entry with "grub-set-default 1" (grub counts from 0). Put something
like "sleep 600 & reboot" into B's /etc/conf.d/local.start that will make
it reboot after a while, unless you are able to log in from remote and kill
the sleep command.
Now reboot. B will be started. Try to log in. If it fails, wait a little,
and try again. This time A should be up again.

Unless you have a kernel panic, and the system is just halted. Does anyone
know if there is something one could do about that?

        Wonko