On November 12, 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > I had something similar on my first try:
> >
> > kde-4 went into /usr
> > kde-3 went into /usr/kde/3.5
> >
> > And bizarre weird errors kept happening. I remerged all of kde-4 with
> > USE="kdeprefix" to put it back into /usr/kde/4.1 and all the weirdness
> > went away
>
> in my opinion installing kde straight into /usr and changing the default
> behaviour is the most stupid thing gentoo devs have done in the last couple
> of years.

wouldn't call it stupid though. FHS compliance is a good thing (I'm a sysadmin
so I really appreciate when things can be easily located universaly). I think
what failed is communication on that change. In developers defense I'd say
that we're dealing with ~arch packages here so we've been warned they'll be
somewhat not-so-stable. What I think needs to happen is gentoo users have to
be warned in big red letters everywhere possible when upgrading from KDE3 to
KDE4 to make firm decision whether to use "kdeprefix" or not.

Enforcing proper FS layout is a good thing IMO. Just needs clear communication
before marked as stable :)

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator