Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 15 November 2008, Dale wrote:
>
>> Mick wrote:
>>
>>> Without gentoo-wiki my knowledge level is rather poor (just like my
>>> memory!)
>>>
>>> What would you use to back up a running server without taking it off
>>> line?
>>>
>> I keep mine simple, cp -auv paths/you/want/to/backup back/up/to  It has
>> works so far.  Thought about doing a cron job but that complicates
>> things.  :/
>>

> Thank you all for the suggestions and for the link to the wiki!  I've got
> some
> reading to do.  ;-)
>
> Whenever I have used tar to back up a whole OS I used it with a LiveCD.  This
> was to make sure that files and their metadata were not being changed while I
> was tar'ing them.
>
> Are you saying that I can actually fire up tar/rsync and back up in real time?
>
> I was gravitating towards using LVM snapshot and then tar'ing that to an
> external USB drive.

I have read that you can use tar while the system is running.  I
wouldn't do that during say a emerge or something tho.  I would try to
keep the system somewhat idle as far as changing files.

My cp command works fine on a running system with the same advice as
above on the system being idle tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)