On Sunday 16 November 2008 12:31:16 William Kenworthy wrote:
> *  app-backup/dirvish
>       Latest version available: 1.2.1
>       Latest version installed: 1.2.1
>       Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
>       Homepage:    http://www.dirvish.org/
> backup system.
>       License:     OSL-2.0
>
> Its worth a read on how its done - using smarts rather than brute force!

So the basic premise is that backups are done frequently and need to be
efficient, whereas restores are only done in the event of a mistake. Less
efficient restores is then a fair trade?

I see people get this wrong all the time at work. They assume that backups are
some sort of rapid shared storage system. Which of course it isn't.
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com