Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here <at> gmail.com> writes:

> But anyway, I know I must make backups, but I still want a robust
> filesystem with good software support (such as data recovery
> utilities). Could you give me your suggestion for the safest
> filesystem for a desktop user that only uses 3,8G of his 54G root
> partition? I care about speed, but I think that my usage pattern does
> not stress the filesystem (if what Valerie Henson says is true).

reiserfs, Never lost anything.....I could not recover across dozens of
systems.....

ymmv

Backups.

get a usb stick and manually copy your stuff to it, periodically.

safe and cheap. Don't bother backing up the operating system as it
can be re-created. /etc is a good idea and a few other key files
 and your personal files....

ymmv.

James