On Tuesday 25 November 2008 23:43:34 Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their new
> > SSDs.
>
> Two weeks ago, I did some tests with a SSD (ZFS and UFS) and it is really
> promising.

That's what Linux said on his blog too. They just worked and worked well and
impressed him technically with no silly rotating media characteristics
carried over to SSD. Which is a refreshing change indeed

> They still have "seek times" but much smaller than rotating media.
> ZFS behaves (as expected) much better on SSD than UFS.
> ZFS even supports (or will soon support) to add separate SSDs as write
> cache and as meta data cache.

I think I need to investigate this deeper and do a write-up for work. I have a
FreeBSD-7 deployment system (nothing for OpenSolaris) so I'll use that. Any
comment on ZFS performace/stability on FreeBSD?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com