On 25 Nov 2008, at 21:35, Alan McKinnon wrote:
Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their new SSDs.
The reason is that I'm getting sick and tired of having to explain and
justify why the laws of physics prevent my girlfriend from being able to backup her 5T banking warehouse on the schedule the law of the country would like her to. There's a solution, but it's hackish and ugly and involves extremely careful management of LVM snapshots. This is simply way too much admin effort for what should really be a simple incremental backup process.

Sounds like you want ZFS.
On Solaris.
On a little dedicated box which exports space via NFS.

Stroller.