Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 00:44:35 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Not only can I ping the router... but I can connect with tcp to
>> anything I want to on the internet.
>>
>> Its just that I can't ping the internet.
>
> I thought you couldn't ping the rest of the LAN either?

No.  I can ping anywhere on the home lan.  Sorry if that was not
clear.

> If the only box you can ping is the router,it sounds like a router setting
> somewhere. What happens if you plug the computer into a different port on
> the router? Does the router have any DMZ features turned on?

I can ping any box inside the lan, including the router, but even then
it still sounds like a router setting since any other lan box can ping
out to internet with no problem.  However I cannot find a router
setting that would do that.  And I have no special setting in place
that I can find.

About DMZ, yes the router has the capability to send to a DMZ but it
is disabled.

my network is simple and looks like (hope this survivs mail encoding):

                      Cable modem to internet

 =================  Netgear FVS-318 gateway  ==================
 mch1      mch2        mch3                   mch4     mch5
^^^^^^
  ^
  ^
no ping to internet