Oh and just to make it clear once and for all,

I was perfectly fine with the idea that my problems might go ignored,
and in fact my running assumption all this time was that nobody knew
or was interested in my particular problems. That's how mailing lists
work. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Half the fun of Gentoo is
knowing that you're kinda on your own.

What I just wanted to talk about was an additional factor that could
make the situation worse. It's entirely besides the point why I
actually was ignored. Think of it like someone reporting a trivial
buffer overflow in an edge use-case of a program. Fixing the issue
might still not make his particular use-case work, and the fact is the
buffer overflow might still be hard to take advantage of or even
encounter anyway. Still needs to be reported though.