Quoting Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de>:

Why? Does Gentoo forget how to do something? Why can't you just "set and forget" your Gentoo boxes?

Gentoo is difficult to install.

For who? And BTW, that doesn't answer the question.

Also, if it's left un-updated for
longer periods of time, it tends to break on the next update

Maybe, but only if you go from abi-1 to abi-2. For example, you can't expect moving from gcc-2 to gcc-3 to gcc-4 being painless.

.  I guess
that's the downside of being versionless.  Debian on the other hand,
due to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.

I can't move debian from tomato to lenny without problems.

set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf

I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P  OK, I'll also say that it
doesn't work.  Everything lags even with 19.

Then something is wrong with your box or it isn't powerful enough. Works perfectly in mine.

Bye