On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:

>>> I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P  OK, I'll also say that it
>>> doesn't work.  Everything lags even with 19.
>>
>> Is that measurable?
>
> On my Gentoo at home, yes.  The mouse cursor skips, scrolling gets
> skippy/laggy too.  I have a dual core e6...@3.33ghz with 4GB DDR2 RAM.

It's weird, I have the same CPU (overclock to 3.00GHz) and have no
lags like that at all when compiling with portage_niceness of 19, it's
totally transparent... in my kernel config i have it set to CFQ i/o
scheduler, tickless system, preemptable kernel, SLAB... i don't know
what else might cause it other than driver/hardware difference. I'm
using an Nvidia chipset with sata_nv driver and SATA disks. I'm also
using /dev/shm for the portage_tmpdir to reduce disk activity.

Paul