On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:26:20 +0000
Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Then why the test and warning?
> >
> > I haven't advocated a test and warning.  But why not?
>
> That's the point of this thread, the ebuild does perform a test before
> installation, but goes ahead straight after the warning.

AFAIAC, the post-install log is exactly where the message belongs --
that's where I'd look if I'd broken my system.  The fact that I don't
think portage should prevent people from installing stuff doesn't mean
I think there shouldn't be any information about what they've just
installed.

But you snipped without comment what I think was a better idea, just
making the 177.x series no longer be an upgrade to the 173.x series.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.