On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM, »Q« <boxc...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:42:30 -0600
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Does anyone here use uvesafb? I followed the instructions to install
>> > uvesafb from this page:
>> >
>> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
>> >
>> > However, it does not work. Is it required to use initrd in order to
>> > use uvesafb? (because I don't use it...)
>> >
>> > the 80x25 looks absolutely horrible and I'd love to have something
>> > usable without needing to be in X. I have an nvidia geforce 9600GT
>> > card using the latest nvidia-drivers, and am on amd64 if it matters.
>>
>> I'm ashamed to admit I made the most basic mistake. I compiled uvesafb
>> as a module. Oops! Compiled it as "Y" instead of "M" and now I have a
>> pair of Tux sitting atop my kernel boot screen and no more 80x25
>> horror. :)
>
> You mean you are now successfully using uvesafb *without* an
> initrd or initramfs?  Spock's site says you need v86d, and I don't know
> how else to get it.  If I boot a kernel without it, uvesafb doesn't
> work for me.

Well you need the initramfs stuff is configured in the kernel as
stated in the instructions at his website, but I'm not (not have I
ever) used the initrd. My grub config (possibly wordwrapped by gmail)
is:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 doscsi dodmraid nmi_watchdog=0
rootfstype=ext4 video=uvesafb:1280x720p-59,mtrr:3,ywrap