rea...@newsguy.com wrote:
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> writes:

I'm ashamed to admit I made the most basic mistake. I compiled uvesafb
as a module. Oops! Compiled it as "Y" instead of "M" and now I have a
pair of Tux sitting atop my kernel boot screen and no more 80x25
horror. :)

Is there some difference in uvesafb and vesafb?  I've always just ignored
the uvesafb choice and used plain vesafb.

I just assumed from the name of it and the menuconfig help on it that
it was something only usable in `userspace'.  I took that to mean
after bootup.. something you'd do from the command line.

Anyone here that can explain what the difference is.

uvesafb also works on non-x86 system. It has one drawback though: it doesn't switch to graphical mode right from the start like vesafb does. Instead, you get the initial kernel messages in text mode and need to wait for graphics to kick-in. With vesafb, you're in graphics mode right from the start. That pretty much makes uvesafb a poor choice for bootsplash configurations.