On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Peter Humphrey
<pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 19:27:53 Paul Hartman wrote:
>
>> Now I just need to find a good consolefont that doesn't look
>> "squished" in 16:9 aspect ratio. Right now I'm using ter-112n (from
>> terminus-fonts) and it's pretty good but still a little too wide for
>> my taste.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to that rather nice font. I think the problem, if
> yours is like mine in having a 1280x800 screen, is that the frame buffer
> simply takes a standard 4:3 screen resolution and stretches it to fit. Thus
> I have a distorted 1024x768 console.
>
> The only way to get a narrower font seems to be to design one six or seven
> pixels wide instead of the usual eight. Or at least, to design a tall,
> narrow font that would look right when stretched in this way.
>
> I too would like to know if someone discovers one like this.

Well, my framebuffer is 1280x720 which is proper 16:9 aspect ratio for
my monitor, but the consolefonts I've tried just don't seem quite my
flavor. I want a small font (so I can fit a lot of characters in the
screen) without being "short", by which I mean I'd rather have an 8x16
font than an 8x8.

In Konsole I'm using "Fixed [ETL]" 10pt, whatever that is, maybe it's
the default, I can't remember, but it's nice.