On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM, KH <gentoo-u...@konstantinhansen.de>
> wrote:
> > Mark Knecht schrieb:
> >> Hi,
> >>    I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
> >> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
> >> read this?
> >>
> >>    Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
> >> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
> >>
> >>    I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
> >> list) but that didn't help.
> >>
> >>    What to try next?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mark
> > [snip]
> >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
> >>
> > [snip]
> >

> > This link was great help for me. Told me everything and how to read the
> > blocker. So I did:
> >
> > #emerge -avC qt-4.3.3
> > #emerge -DuavN world (This installed qt-4.4.2)
> >
> > But now I do have a problem. When I run
> >
> > #emerge --depclean -av
> >
> > I receive the following output:
> > [snip]
> >
> >  dev-db/sqlite
> >    selected: 2.8.16-r4
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: 3.6.6.2
> >
> >  x11-libs/qt
> >    selected: 4.4.2
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: 3.3.8b-r1
> >
> >  x11-libs/qt-svg
> >    selected: 4.4.2
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: none
> >
> >  x11-libs/qt-opengl
> >    selected: 4.4.2
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: none
> >
> >  x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns
> >    selected: 4.4.2
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: none
> >
> >  x11-libs/qt-assistant
> >    selected: 4.4.2-r1
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: none
> >
> >  x11-libs/qt-webkit
> >    selected: 4.4.2
> >   protected: none
> >     omitted: none
> >
> > What did I miss? This results in an infinite circle of unmerging and
> > emerging.
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> >
> > kh
> >

> In your /etc/make.conf file do you have the following line?
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
>
> You can do this on the emerge command line if you choose. See man
> emerge for info on doing that.
>
> I *think* the standard answer about why this happens is that
> --depclean and a basic emerge don't search all the dependencies
> exactly the same. If you add the --with-bdeps y option then they do.
>
> Anyway, I don't seem to run into this much using this in make.conf.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark

> [...]
disclosure is what I do), but it shouldn't be necessary.
Having emerge --depclean remove build dependencies should be ok. Afterwards,
emerge -avuDN world should do nothing, as although the build dependencies
for packages are missing, the world packages themselves don't need
rebuilding, so there is nothing to do. Thus, there is no infinite rebuilding
cycle, independent of the with-bdeps flag.

Nick