On 2009-01-24, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009 14:58:32 Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Mainly because I use ntfsclone to keep a bunch of backup copies of the
>> NTFS partition, and having a 2GB swap file in every backup copy starts to
>> eat up a lot of disk space.
>
> In the days when I ran Windows I used to have at least one
> partition other than C and force the swap file onto it, with
> fixed size. Then I could just omit that partition from the
> backup.
>
> Perhaps it's still possible to do that; I don't know, but it
> might be worth a try.

Yes, it's still possible to do that.  I didn't figure out I
_should_ do that until it was too late and the disk was
partitioned and several OSes installed -- I didn't have a spare
primary parition to put the swap file on.  I had a bunch of
spare extended partitions but all the docs say you can't put
the XP swap file on en extended paritition (unless you use
something like swapfs, which will work with an extended
partition).

--
Grant