On 2009-01-24, ABCD <en.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There actually is a good reason (oddly enough) for Windows
> using a file on the filesystem for its swap space.  Because it
> is a simple file on disk, if Windows realizes that the swap
> file is almost full, it can expand your swap without having to
> do things like repartition.  This makes the "swap is full -
> out of memory"-type problems less likely to occur

While that's a valid point in theory, I've never had a "swap is
full - out of memory" problem in all the years I've been
running Unixes that swapped to dedicated partitions.  In my
experience the system usually slows to a standstill and
requires drastic action long before swap fills up.

> (unless it is "filesystem is full" as well :) ).

That, on the other hand, I do run into quite regularly.

So it seems to me that using a swap file rather than a
paritition is increasing the liklehood of problems rather than
decreasing it while at the same time adding both system
overhead and instability.  Surely it's easier to corrupt a
swapfile that's in a normal, heavily-used filesystem than it is
to corrupt a dedicated swap partition?

The code that prevents one partition from "spilling over" into
another is much, much simpler and more bullet-proof than the
code that manages blocks/clusters within a filesystems.

If I were to guess why Windows doesn't use a swap partition, it
would be because floppy disks didn't have partitions.

--
Grant