On 24 Jan 2009, at 17:22, Grant Edwards wrote:
I still can't believe that Windows does it's swapping using a
normal filesystem -- and by default it's the same filesystem
used for system and application files.  It seems like the
filesystem code would end up being a serious bottleneck.

   > 3. Does creating the swapfile on a journaled filesystem (e.g.
   > ext3 or reiser) incur a significant performance hit?

   None at all. The kernel generates a map of swap offset -> disk
   blocks at swapon time and from then on uses that map to perform
   swap I/O directly against the underlying disk queue, bypassing all
   caching, metadata and filesystem code.

   http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/7/7/326

Stroller.