>> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
>> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
>> once in awhile.
>
> Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
> that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
> dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
> interim?
>
> No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
> packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.

I added:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"

to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
stuff, but I'm still confused by boost.  --depclean didn't remove it,
'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it.  I also re-emerged twinkle and
rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
result is the same.

Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean.  When I try to use
it, I get errors starting with:

sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory

- Grant