>>> emerging lzma-utils fixed it, thank you.  I always etc-update as soon
>>> as the packages are built.  Should lzma-utils be a dependency of
>>> something?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> Weird, --depclean wants to remove lzma-utils again even though:
>>
>> # equery depends lzma-utils
>> [ Searching for packages depending on lzma-utils... ]
>> dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> media-libs/libpng-1.2.34 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> media-libs/netpbm-10.44.00-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> net-dns/dnsmasq-2.45 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> net-misc/netkit-rsh-0.17-r9 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20071202044231-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-devel/m4-1.4.11 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>>
>> Maybe it's listed as a build-time dependency of coreutils when it
>> should be runtime?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> coreutils is an lzma archive, so lzma-utils are required to decompress
> it. So it seems proper that it's a build-time dep.
>
> I think there was something about man using lzma IF you had lzma-utils
> installed at the time of emerging man. So maybe you can try to unmerge
> lzma-utils, then re-emerge man (and maybe convert your lzma manpages
> to bz2).

man seems to be working fine without lzma-utils now.  It looks like I
emerged help2man at some point yesterday so maybe that helped.

I think I've gotten to the bottom of my boost problem.  I have
rb_libtorrent installed which requires >=dev-libs/boost-1.35, meaning
boost needs to be in package.keywords.  If I remove boost from
package.keywords, should portage tell me there is a problem?  I like
the idea of being able to edit package.keywords and know that portage
will either upgrade/downgrade based on the changes, or tell me if
there is a depended-on package installed which doesn't have the
necessary package.keywords entry.

- Grant