On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:21:46 +0200, Justin <jus...@j-schmitz.net> wrote:
> Xav' schrieb:
>> with
>>>>
>>> Although said quite some times: autobuilds!!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Perhaps  you like to keep your self up-to-date with our new webpage,
>> where
>
> www.gentoo.org           which now includes all feeds from planet.g.o,
the
> glsa and the package additions.
> See Donnie's post from 20. December

To rejoin my earlier idea, as Donnie's post seems to say, autobuilds "have
not been rigorously tested as the old releases"...
So yes, autobuilds are build with stable and tested software, but a release
roadmap means that there is some work to built it, and IMHO is a proof that
the distro is alive.
And i think that this will be seen by the Community as a "dying" distro...

>>> things like "autobuilds" are
>>> announced regularly.
>>
>> In fact, i was not aware of autobuilds before yesterday... And i'm now
>> using them.
>> On the other side, i still disagree with vanishing of the Gentoo
>> releases,
>> as they leads to a better visibility in the open source community. I
>> think
>> they provide some "milestone" to see that the distribution is kept
>> up-to-date and still under active developpement... But again, it's my
own
>> opinion.
>>
> You are right, thats what darkside talked about. Plus if you take a look
at
> sites like distrowatch,
> gentoo will vanish w/o new releases

I think it's important that Gentoo stay in touch with these kinds of
website to improve his visibility over the Open Source Community, and
that's why i think that "official" releases are important.