On 13 Apr 2009, at 23:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
...  Something about KDE-4 and Qt4
grabbed my attention - maybe it's just the scope and possibilities of it all, and the sheer size of brass balls it takes to be the first to go that route
with a mainstream product. I admire guts and vision like that.

Your evangelism sent off to read more, but if I go to http://kde.org (first google hit for "kde4") none of these "scope and possibilities" seems to be reflected there.

I have KDE 3.x installed on a 600mhz or 800mhz Thinkpad which I use rarely, and the only improvements apparent from the screenshots is transparency & wobbly windows.

I find Exposé immensely useful on my Mac and I love the "genie" effect when maximising & minimising windows; I can imagine a cool animation when using virtual desktops on Linux. But clearly you're talking about something more than that, because that ain't a whole new paradigm. Could you possibly explain - or provide some pointers to - what I'm missing, please?

Stroller.