On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Dienstag 14 April 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > There's a few keywords to start a search with - nepomuk, sematic desktop
>>
>> Maybe I just don't "get it" but all of the descriptions of this stuff
>> flies way over my head. Admittedly, as soon as I see the word "social"
>> being applied to my personal files, the red alerts go off and my brain
>> shuts down. :)
>>
>> The idea of the things on my "desktop" being tied to the internet
>> sounds very Microsoft-y and DRM-y and anti-privacy.
>
> it has nothing to do with all the three.

OK, so I don't understand it at all then (as I suspected). :) The
website presumes the reader knows what is meant by "social" and
"semantic" (and "sesktop", really) mean and apparently I don't know
what they mean by these terms.

>> To me, and I say this as a KDE4 user, the KDE devs have blatantly
>> plagiarized the Vista desktop and the Mac OS X control panel and put
>> it all together on top of Qt4. :)
>
> if you ignore the fact that kde4 came before vista and osx itself is nothing
> but a bad copy.

Well, KDE 4.0 was released 2008. Vista final was released in 2006.
Even if you go back to the first technical previews of KDE4 it was
around the time when Vista look and feel was already made. And KDE
didn't look the same back then as it does now. In my opinion KDE has
looked more like Vista with 4.2 than previous versions. I don't think
it's a bad thing -- I like the look of KDE 4.2 better than previous
versions. I'm only saying that to me it looks like they copy Vista :)

I don't use Mac at all (not since the black & white monitor days), but
when I recently saw OS X, the control panel looked and worked just
like the KDE 4 control panel. I don't know how long ago Mac had this
design. If you say Apple copied KDE then I'll believe you.