Hello,
about the *mandatory* it was a bad expression, I  should have said :
'make two new daemons mandatory IF you want to follow the modern-move' :)
Of course the 'hal' useflag is such a gentoo nice thing !

I did the xorg+hal switch, but I forgot that hald make use of dbus
(I would dreamed about Xorg only asking hal advises once at boot instead having
fluxbox honoured by 2 more daemons) anyway, I moved away the xorg.conf and
all works fine now ... except my fonts.
(can I fully get rid of this xorg.conf "Files Section" by putting
the-right-thing in my ~/.xinitrc ? which means how to globally *register*
new fonts for the server by a client)

After some trace :
- /usr/sbin/hald just makes a tiny poll each 15 seconds.
- hald-addon-storage polls my dvd drive each 2 seconds (I should change
that... or remove it (even if that's still less than a simple ipager))
- dbus seems quiet (blessed)
- hald-addon-input is far more expensive : reacts to each key pressed
  but not to the mouse moves.
  I don't know if it's a kind of wrapper for evdev or if it polls the
  /dev/input/event ... uselessly
But, I'll gave those daemons a chance for the moment.

Thank for your influence all

Raph