On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 03:58:18PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Real men manage their own /etc/fstab. ;-)
+1
(I just noticed that hal creates /media but didn't added it to my fstab,
maybe for the 0.5.12 ? :))

> "HAL was responsible for opening almost 2000 files. It will read various XML
> files, then happily reopen and reread them multiple times. The bulk of these
> files describe hardware which has never been anywhere near the system in
> question. Clearly, this is an application which could be a little smarter
> about how it does things."
The very minimum would be the use inotify("/etc/hal/") (I didn't check
that but I saw :
mmap_cache.c:167: dir '/etc/hal/fdi/...' changed - marking fdi cache as invalid

(when I see all the folks about relatime.... ""bundling"" one (two?)
daemon(s) that poll all around X... :|)

> One member of the audience claimed that hald's repeated probing of his
> Thinkpad's CDROM drive to see if a CD had been inserted was responsible for
> killing it.
>From man hal-disable-polling :
"It  is  the  position of the HAL team that polling should be avoided at all
costs as long as it doesn't heavily impact the user experience in a
negative way."
Seems clear : when it does ... let's poll :)

I just stopped dbus and hald, Xorg is still alive !
Maybe it would be possible to make Xorg only request hal-get-property at boot
or something like that ? :)